Anyone who loves avocados knows what I’m talking about…
You buy the avocados while they’re firm, keep on the counter waiting for the perfect opportunity to cut it open just to find out every single one of those jerks are rotten! I’ve dropped the F-bomb a few times when dealing with the love/hate relationship I have toward avocados. Scroll down for a miracle solution!
I keep trying because I know just how amazing they are for my health!
Why I love avocados:
- High in fibre regulating appetite, feeding friendly gut bacteria, and reducing the risk of many diseases
- Packed with healthy fat which is great for reducing inflammation in the body and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Super filling helping to feel satisfied faster so would be beneficial when trying to lose some extra pounds
What I didn’t like about them until I found a solution:
- They’re sneaky little suckers and can go bad so quickly
- Eating a whole avocado in one sitting is tough so finding a way to store the other half wasn’t practical (it would turn brown so easily)
I recently discovered a way to store avocados so they last weeks!
Store them in the fridge! For some reason, I never thought to do this. If you find them on sale, stock up and throw them in your crisper! Take one or two out a day or two prior to using them and voila – fresh and perfectly ripe!
A few other quick tips:
- Slice up unused portions and place in a plastic baggy or wrap to store in the freezer for smoothies
- Leave the pit in the half you won’t be using and place in the fridge using a plastic baggy squeezing as much air out as possible
- Avoiding plastic? Rub some lemon juice or olive oil on the avocado half and store bottom down in a dish in the fridge
Do you have any tips on storing avocados? What about recipe ideas other than good old guacamole? Share below so we can all learn from each other!